Media Skills Training
Learning how to build relationships with journalists and gaining knowledge of how the media works helps people to be clearer in their minds about their own jobs.
Communication is Key
Employees will understand their company’s role and position in its industry better and therefore the messages they need to communicate in their everyday roles.
An interview with a journalist is an opportunity to change perceptions, raise awareness of products and services and to change behaviour.
The negative points a journalist will pick up on are usually linked to the complaints or bad experiences of customers, clients or staff. A media opportunity should never be missed.
Here is a snippet of a media training session director Steve Hemsley ran for crowdfunding business Crowdcube.
How does it work?
Our professional journalists help learners prepare for a media interview so they and the journalist get what they need. There are practical role plays to allow each learner to experience a press, radio/television and online interview. These are filmed and played back for feedback purposes.
Who is it aimed at?
- Anyone in a senior role who might interact with journalists as part of their job, either through arranged meetings and interviews or at industry events
- Anyone who is responsible for conveying company messages to internal and external audiences
- Anyone who is likely to be promoted into a position where a relationship with the local or national media will be part of their job
- Any company looking to expand its pool of brand spokespeople
What will you learn?
At the end of this intense training day, you will be equipped with a firm understanding and application of:
- How the media works and how to use it to benefit you and your organisation
- What makes news and what doesn’t
- Which messages you need to convey
- Conveying specific messages to different audiences
- How to deal with positive and negative interviews with journalists
- How to prepare for interviews and remain in control
- The role of the press office.
- Crisis situations
David Batchelor, MD at Wills & Trusts, Chartered Financial Planners
“When dealing with the media you only get one shot to get your message across. After bringing Steve from Hendrix into our office to train me and my colleagues I now realise how underprepared we were and it was amazing how he was able to put us in a better position in just hours. As a working journalist he has a deep sense of what is needed to take advantage of media opportunities be they TV, radio or print. If you’re going to do media, hire Hendrix.”
Presenting with impACT!
Innovative training to boost confidence, including Presentation Skills coaching...
Telephone voice skills
Improve your team’s telephone voice skills (ideal for contact centres & sales teams)...
All courses can be ‘white-labelled’ for other training providers
Let your team explore their creativity through drama-led team building
Highly effective training sessions that are lots of fun and memorable too!